Tuesday, November 11, 2008

All Saints' Day - 2008

Today, we celebrate All Saints’ Day. When we think of a saint, we think of someone who is holy; whose life is an example of virtuous behavior and the highest moral character. We ordinary folks would not dare to consider ourselves as saints, unless we happen to have a delusion of grandeur. Most often, saints are only recognized to be saints after their death - that's another reason we do not want to be saints...

However, in the Bible, the early Christians were all called saints (Hebrews 13:24; Jude 1:3; Philemon 1:5, 7). Should we consider ourselves saints, too? Or, at least, we are believers, growing and maturing to become saints.

The Garden of the Saints – Henri Nouwen

The Church is a very human organization but also the garden of God’s grace. It is a place where great sanctity keeps blooming. It is a place where great sanctity keeps blooming. Saints are people who make the living Christ visible to us in a special way. Some saints have given their lives in the service of Christ and his Church; others have spoken and written words that keep nurturing us; some have lived heroically in difficult situations; others have remained hidden in quiet lives of prayer and meditation; some were prophetic voices calling for renewal; others were spiritual strategists setting up large organizations or networks of people; some were healthy and strong; others were quite sick, and often anxious and insecure.

But all of them in their own ways lived in the Church as in a garden where they heard the voice calling them the Beloved and where they found the courage to make Jesus the centre of their lives.

It is important to think about the Church not as “over there” but as a community of struggling, weak people of whom we are part and in whom we meet our Lord and Redeemer.

Christians by Maya Angelou

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not shouting 'I'm clean living', I'm whispering 'I was lost, now I'm found and forgiven..'

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I don't speak of this with pride. I'm confessing that I stumble and need Christ to be my guide.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not trying to be strong. I'm professing that I'm weak and need His strength to carry on.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not bragging of success. I'm admitting I have failed and need God to clean my mess.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not claiming to be perfect, my flaws are far too visible but, God believes I am worth it.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I still feel the sting of pain... I have my share of heartaches, so I call upon His name.

When I say... 'I am a Christian' I'm not holier than thou; I'm just a simple sinner who received God's good grace, somehow!

Therefore, we Christians are not holy men and women with halos. We are not any better or holier than other people. We just know by faith and understand better how the grace of God is operating in our lives and working through us. We realize that it is not us, but the power of God working through us that makes a difference. With that understanding, we can, and we should, call ourselves saints! Last Sunday, I recited a list of flawed characters in the Bible that are called by God to carry out his mission. They are far from being perfect. We are far from being perfect, too. We have our struggles and our troubles. But, like them, we don’t make our imperfection as the perfect excuse for not serving God.

Moreover, by becoming saints ourselves, we are also called to make more saints. Making saints, like making babies, has its share of pain and pleasure, joys and challenges. It is not easy. Think of all the responsibilities of parenthood, we too have the same challenges in bringing others to Christ and making them saints. We have been reminded that children are watching us, and they will do as we do, not as we say. Listen to the following poem.

WHEN YOU THOUGHT I WASN'T LOOKING:

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I immediately wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw you feed a stray cat, and I learned that it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw you make my favorite cake for me, and I learned that the little things can be the special things in life.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I heard you say a prayer, and I knew that there is a God I could always talk to, and I learned to trust in Him.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw you make a meal and take it to a friend who was sick, and I learned that we all have to help take care of each other.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you give of your time and money to help people who had nothing, and I learned that those who have something should give to those who don’t.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw you take care of our house and everyone in it, and I learned we have to take care of what we are given.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw how you
handled your responsibilities, even when you didn’t feel good, and I learned that I would have to be responsible when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn’t looking I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I learned most of life’s lessons that I need to know to be a good and productive person when I grow up.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I looked at you and wanted to say, “Thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn’t looking.”

LITTLE EYES SEE A LOT!


Each of us, whether we are parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle, teacher, clergy and friend, we can have so much influence on the life of a child, or another budding saint in Christ. Our examples, good or bad, will have more impact on them than our words and commandments.

Today, as we celebrate All Saints’ Day, we worship God in the presence of the multitude of saints. We are not alone! We are not small in numbers! We are surrounded, not by ghosts and goblins, but by a great cloud of witnesses from ages past. They are cheering us on! Rejoicing in their fellowship, we may run with patience the race that is set before us. We are encouraged and empowered by their good examples. Together with them, we may receive the crown of glory that never fades away!

Thanks be to God. Amen!

Fr Victor+
www.stjd.ca

No comments: